Tatio Geysers. Senda Mística.
The adventure begins at 4:30 am to see the spectacular sunrise in the third biggest geothermal field in the world, located at 90 kilometers from San Pedro (about 1:30 minutes driving). There you are going to be able to admire more than 80 active geysers which erupt to an average height of about 75 centimeters, making it the largest and higher geyser field in the southern hemisphere.
The filed counts with a “Pozón Rústico” or a thermal pool in which only the bravest dare to swim, as the temperatures range among -20°C in during winter and 0°C in summer.
After that, we will set up a table for you with a delicious breakfast to regain energy and continue our tour towards Machuca, one of the oldest towns around, with no more than 20 houses, famous for its typical food, especially the Lama meat.
As a trivial tip, Did you know that Tatio in Quechua means “oven”?
- Time: Half Day 5:00 – 12:00.
- Altitude: 4.321 mt.
- Acclimatization: 2 nights.
- Included: Hotel pick up, shared transportation, guide and breakfast.
- Not included: Entry tickets CLP $7.000 (Chileans) CLP $ 10.000 (foreigner).
- What to bring: Go with layers of warm clothes, plus gloves, hat, jacket, warm shoes. Take water, sunscreen and sunglasses.
- Restrictions: Not allowed for people with problems produced by altitude, pregnant women and children under 9 years.